Custom Search

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

I Don't Like Bella Swan But I Like The Books!

Best Blogger Tips
So I don't know if you know anything about this Twilight craze. I'll briefly explain (SPOILER ALERT!!!!). It is a teen fiction series about a girl, Bella Swan, that falls in love with a vampire, Edward Cullen. I work with books and I wanted to know what was so great about this one. I read the first book in the series, Twilight. I thought it was okay. I actually thought it was kinda of boring. Not a lot happened until the end. In fact, I noticed the movie added stuff (other vampires killing man on boat) to make it interesting enough for film (Hollywood). But I liked it enough that I read the second, New Moon. I just finished it and I thought this one was much better, I was really into it and read it really fast.

This was when I understood it. It is a fantasy about true love. That is why girls and women love it so much (or they love Edward so much - *gag*). But now this doesn't explain why girls as young as eight like the book. Do they really understand it or just read its 'cause its popular?

Anyways, that's for another rant. I want to talk about how much I don't like the main character, Bella, (the character, not the actress). In New Moon, Bella and Edward broke up. Then for like 90% of the book she befriends Jacob. Only she was totally using him and leading him on. She held his hand, they held each other, but she thought of him as only a friend. Then at the end of the book, Edward comes back and it was like "Thanks a lot Jacob but Edward (your mortal enemy) is back, so f-off". I thought this was very cruel. He was younger than her and totally in love with her. She was so selfish.

I am not the only one that thinks the main character is horrible (see Deconstructing Bella Swan). People think she is whiny, dependent, a bad role model, and the series is sexist. I just think that she is not a relatable character. I don't like her personality, the way she talks or acts.

There are people who hate the whole series altogether. In my opinion, they only hate is because it is so popular (or because they just don't like vampires). That's not always a good enough reason to hate something. They just say that because they don't want to conform.

The sad thing . . . even though these books pissed me off so much, I'm still going to read Eclipse. Best Blogger Tips
  • Share On Facebook
  • Digg This Post
  • Stumble This Post
  • Tweet This Post
  • Save Tis Post To Delicious
  • Float This Post
  • Share On Reddit
  • Bookmark On Technorati
Blog Bookmark Gadgets

4 comments:

  1. Even though I hate Bella, I have respect for the author. She was able to earn so much money off of this (books, movies, clothes, stickers, magnets, and so on). If I were her, I wouldn't care what people thought about Bella. As long as I was making huge amounts of money off of something I worked hard for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If New Moon pissed you off so much, prepare yourself before you read Eclipse... I share your feelings about her in a way, but i hate her not for hurting Jacob (i couldnt care less about him), but for being such a whore generally

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, you make a great point. I too thought it was stupid how she led Jacob on, and personally I'm on "team Jacob" because of how retarded Edward was in leaving her for THE WHOLE SECOND BOOK! Like wtf? As a result, I hated the second book (I can't keep the damn names straight). But the fourth book was by far my favorite: it had the most action. Oh, and also, wtf is with hiring Robert Pattison to portray Edward, who is supposed to be this heavenly gorgeous being...and this guy is so ugly in my opinion. I don't get the obsession, Jacob is WAY hotter!! Oy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never saw or read any of them. I am so out of the loop. Don't like vampires.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...