Custom Search

Friday, January 30, 2009

Buy a Reusable Bag!

Best Blogger Tips
What's the deal with reusable bags?

With concerns today about the effects of global warming and maintaining a green lifestyle, reusable bags are becoming a hit. It takes up to 1,000 or more years for plastic bags to biodegrade in landfills. Yes, plastic bags are (eventually) biodegradable. However, as oil-based bags bio-degrade, they break down into smaller, more toxic polymers which contaminate soil and waterways that enter the food chain.

Why should we use them?

They are stronger than plastic bags and can hold more. They are more durable and easier to carry. I walk to and from the grocery store, so reusable bags have made a big difference. Also, the store where I shop charges 5 cents for every bag, so I save money too.

What is my opinion on reusable bags?

I love them. I think they are great. They are better for the environment and have a lot of other benefits. I use them all of the time (as much as I can). I own about a dozen of them, in all different shapes, designs and sizes.

And if you don't like them, you'll have to get used to them. Grocery stores in Canada, such as Loblaws, is going to start charging for their plastic bags, and some are already phasing them out completely.

There are so many different bags to choose from!

Most of the reusable bags I have seen cost $1.99. My favourite ones are the LCBO, P.C., and Indigo bags. Now when I look for reusable bags I also look for style. I don't like the ones that Walmart sells because they look really cheap.

The LCBO bags are plastic and they are much bigger so they are good for protecting my purchases in the winter. The Indigo ones are great because they have flat bottoms and a little zipper pocket on the inside.

Anyways, I do not think I would buy a reusable bag for more then a couple of bucks unless I really like it.

It sounds like reusable bags are the perfect solution!

Not necessarily. There are some purposes that plastic bags are much better for. For example, it is great as a lunchbag that can be thrown out when you're done with it, so you don't have to carry it around everywhere. Also, sometimes you don't know when you are going to do some shopping. Reusable bags basically should be carried at all times and that isn't always convienient.

What does the future hold?

It makes me happy when I see more and more people carrying reusable bags, it shows that more people are starting to care about the enviroment. And I think that even small efforts like these promise a healthier planet to come.

Final Thought

Reusable bags are not just good for the enviroment, they save money, protect your purchases, and they make it easier to carry things.

You can help the environment too! Next time you are out shopping, pick up a couple of reusable bags and bring them when ever you go out. They'll grow on you.

Resources


Best Blogger Tips
  • Share On Facebook
  • Digg This Post
  • Stumble This Post
  • Tweet This Post
  • Save Tis Post To Delicious
  • Float This Post
  • Share On Reddit
  • Bookmark On Technorati
Blog Bookmark Gadgets

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...